People will take over your life if you let them.
How do they do it?
Step 1: They begin by taking over your time.
- When they send a message in one place to say they’ve left a message for you in another place, you know you’re really in trouble. Watch out!
Step 2: They continue by asserting their priorities over yours.
- One hour after asking for something: “Have you had a chance to look at that yet?” Do not mistake urgent for important.
Step 3: They assume they know better than you do.
- Most of the time when someone says something will help you, what they mean is “This will help me, but let’s pretend it helps you too.”
Step 4: When you decline to give in to the demands, they’ll attempt to make you feel bad.
- “I’m not sure why you’d say no to this great opportunity.”
- “I really need your help to ensure this project succeeds.”
Sometimes, we let people take over our lives by entrusting judgment to them. We assume that other people know better than we do. We assume that other people’s priorities are more important than ours.
Sometimes we are wrong.
We should stop that.
For the whole story click here.